1400 Broadway NE
PO Box 2048
Salem, Or 97308-2048
Phone 503-364-4431 or 800-882-6789
Capital Press, a Salem based, weekly, agricultural newspaper
of 38,000 circulation, began in 1928 as Hollywood Press in
the Hollywood area and farms of north Salem. It converted
in 1932 to Capital Press and called itself a statewide weekly
paper. After World War II, Capital Press became increasingly
an agricultural paper. It still is and is now the largest
agricultural publication in the Northwest, circulating in
Oregon, Washington, Idaho and into Central California. Founder
of the newspaper in 1928 was A.M. Church.
In 1946, Church sold the newspaper to Henry Hanzen, a Portland
lawyer, and Dewey A. Rand Sr., a Portland insurance agent
who had served in the Army in both world wars and had been
active in Portland politics in the 1930s. Rand and Hanzen
focused Capital Press more and more on the diverse, small
scale agriculture of the Willamette Valley and built a thriving
classified ad business. As was the case on other weekly papers
in rural Oregon, Rand did everything at one time or another:
ad sales, editor and then publisher.
Rand, a native of Baker County, was a staunch Democrat, advised
several Oregon governors and took strong positions in his
'Passing in Review' column in Capital Press. He eventually
bought out Hanzen and officially retired in 1985 at age 86.
Rand's son, Dewey A. Rand Jr., joined the newspaper in 1955
and succeeded his father as publisher. Like his dad, Dewey
Jr. worked in all phases of the paper in advertising, circulation,
reporting and editorial writing. With his long-time general
manager, Bill Anderson, he stretched Capital Press coverage
into the Washington side of the Columbia Basin and into Idaho.
Dewey Jr. served on dozens of Salem and agricultural organizations
and Salem's City Council, School Board, Planning Commission
and Hospital Board, Oregon Government Ethics Commission, SEDCOR
Board, Oregon 4-H Foundation, Capitol Health Care Board, the
Oregon Board of Agriculture and many others. Like his father,
the younger Rand served in two wars in World War II and the
Korean war as well as the Army Reserve. He also served in
the National Guard.
The two Rands built the newspaper into prominence in the Northwest
and also supported agriculture through a wide range of scholarships
and other grants. The Capital Press building has been at North
Broadway and Hood since 1963. Before that, the newspaper offices
were at 270 N. Commercial, downtown. Capital Press had its
own press until about 1980, but growth in pages moved the
Rands to start contracting with the Statesman Journal to print
the weekly paper.
In 1991, Rand sold Capital Press to the East Oregonian Publishing
Co., owned by the Forrester and Aldrich families who operate
papers in Pendleton, Astoria, John Day, Enterprise and Long
Beach, Wash. Rand died in 1998. Present publisher of Capital
Press is Mike Forrester.
The history was written by Mike Forrester, president of the
East Oregonian Publishing Co and publisher of Capital Press.