P.O. Box 12009
Salem, Or 97309-0009
Phone: (503) 585-5911
Walling Sand & Gravel Co.
Salem Black Top and Asphalt Paving
D&D Paving Co.
Axis Curb Co.
Walling Sand & Gravel was founded in 1940 by Harold (H.C.)
Walling. In the beginning, the Walling Companies included
only the gravel processing plant, known as Walling Sand &
Gravel. In the 1950s, a concrete batch plant and concrete
trucks were added, making ready-mix material available to
Salem area customers. The original sand gravel processing
and ready-mix plants were located on the northeast corner
of McGilchrist and 16th Streets, S.E.
A Southern Pacific rail spur, running parallel to the west
side of the present McGilchrist Street office building, was
used to load railroad cars with ballast rock for rail bed
construction and was a mainstay of Walling Sand & Gravel
business for years.
The rock crusher plant was moved to its present location
on South Lancaster Drive in 1975 and the ready-mix plant was
relocated in 1978 to this Lancaster site. In 1978, the company
acquired a gravel excavation site on Turner Road. Mining operations
began in 1991, and that site is still used today to mine rock.
An additional site in West Salem has been added and will someday
serve as the principal mining location.
Both Salem Black Top and Asphalt Paving and D&D Paving
Companies were purchased in 1978 from the Ray and Jesse Daniels
family who were customers of Walling Sand & Gravel for
many years. Axis Curb Co., the most recent addition, was started
in 1988. These companies were added as affiliates to complement
the aggregate business.
H.C. Wallings son, Jerry Walling, is the current president
of the Walling Companies. Walling is proud to have been involved
in the growth of the Salem-Keizer community for the past 60
years and is looking forward to meeting the challenges of
the new millennium.
Researched and written by Tom Weir, Walling Company