space
Salem Online History This site is provided by Salem Public Library (Salem, Oregon).
Tips
space
 
space
space space
Brief History
Commerce
Culture
Education
Maps
Natural History
People
Places
Timeline Search
Transportation
space
World War II Photographs
 
Political cartoon 1942
Political cartoon shows baby 1942 taking on the Axis of Power
[ View Image ]
 

Salem ad for incinerators

Incinerator Ad by Barham Brothers, General Contractors
[ View Image ]
 
Fruit processing supporting war in ad
Starr Fruit Products, one of many Salem food processors who delivered food products to the war efforts, displays its ad in the Camp Adair section of the Salem newspaper
[ View Image ]
 
Waves office in Salem
Waves recruiting office in Salem, Oregon, March 31, 1944. Women's service group to the Navy were called Waves. Pictured are men and women in civilian and military clothing in a room. Marion County Historical Society photo.
[ View Image ]
 
Aluminum drive 1941
World War II aluminum drive in Salem, Oregon, 1941
A photo of a Ford pick-up truck being loaded with an assortment of collected aluminum utensils at Marion County Courthouse lawn in 1941. This was part of a World War II National Aluminum Drive sponsored in Salem by the Salem Junior Chamber of Commerce. Among businesses sponsoring the drive were Sears, Roebuck & Company and the Interior Paint Store. Note the Boy Scouts in uniform helping on the pick-up.
[ View Image ]
 
 
Christmas 1943 with servicemen
Christmas 1943 dinner at the Oregon State Fairgrounds in Salem, Oregon.
Pictured are members of the 104th Cavalry sitting at tables at the Fairgrounds on December 25, 1943, with their guests. The soldiers are in uniform. The tables are set with place settings and plates of food. Some are sitting on chairs while most are sitting on bench seats. The walls and windows have greenery on them.
[ View Image ]
 
Scrap drive
In July 1942, "Scrappo" over looked the Marion County courthouse lawn during one of the many wartime drives. Meanwhile, Salem strained to meet its wartime needs as its industry and agricultral processing expanded.
[ View Image ]
 
Book campaign 1941
Books collected for the Victory Book Campaign during World War II, 1942. Collection campaign for books for American military personnel during World War II. Posters advertising the VBC are visible on the tables which are stacked high with books.
[ View Image ]
 
Ad by japanese american supporting the US during the war
Frank Tanaka, owner of a very popular Japanese resturant declares his patriotism. Unfortunately, war relocation ended the popular resturant in Salem.
[ View Image ]
 

Bibliography:
Camp Adair Edition, November 8, 1942, Oregon Statesman newspaper, advertisements and stories about Camp Adair

I Am an American, Too! Capital Journal, December 10, 1941

Ration books from Marion County Historical Society collection, 2004

 
Food rations
Pictured are food products that could be purchased during World War II with food rationing stamps. The picture was taken on March 22, 1943, and show food rationing stamps on each side of the products. The number of points products would take are listed on the bottom can in four of the five stacks of food products. Two people were allowed 96 points, but for how long was not stated. The point value of the stamps shown were eight, five, two, and one. The State Archieves researched how many points were allowed per person per month and found that eighty (80) points were allowed per person per month.
[ View Image ]
 
Coupon for sugar
War Ration Coupon for Oregon Sugar
[ View Image ]
 
Ration stamps
War ration stamps, featuring illustrations of wheat, liberty torches and stamps marked "spare"
[ View Image ]
 
Ration stamps
War ration stamps, featuring illustrations of tanks and war ships
[ View Image ]
 
Electrical contractor support war in ad
Walton Brown Elelctrical Contractors, Salem, Ad in Camp Adair publication.
[ View Image ]
 

West gate at Camp Adair 1955

West entrance gate at Camp Adair, Oregon, March 30, 1955
Pictured is part of the industrial area at Camp Adair, north of Corvallis, Oregon's largest military cantonment during World War II. The 1800 buildings were constructed during the summer of 1942. It was declared surplus property by the Army in December 1945 and demolition was begun in the spring of 1947. Equipment and fixtures such as furnaces, pipes, laundry trays, sinks, lumber, doors, siding were made available to any takers, sometimes at offices set up by the wrecking companies on the site. This particular picture is of the west entrance guard-gate station.
[ View Image ]
 
 
space
Home | About | History Resources | SiteMap | Historic Photographs | Salem Public Library
space
© 2005-2006 Salem Public Library (Salem, OR) Brief History Commerce Culture Education Maps Natural History People Places Timeline Search Transportation