Anderson, Nora : A native of Iowa, Anderson came to Oregon
in 1892. She organized the effort to start a public library
in Salem and spearheaded the formation of the Salem Art Association.
The Anderson Auditorium at the Salem Public Library is the
result of her generous bequest. She died in 1969. [ Learn
Bennett, Captain Charles : (1811-1855) Reputedly the co-discoverer
of gold in California, Bennett built the Bennett House in
Salem in 1850 and the steamer Canemah in 1851. He was killed
in the Yakima Indian War in 1855. [ Learn
Bishop, Charles P : (1854-1941) Bishop was vice-president
of the Pendleton Woolen Mill and founder of Bishop's Men's
Store. He served as mayor of Salem from 1898 to 1904 and was
a State Senator from 1915 to1917.
Bligh, T. J. : A Salem entrepreneur, Bligh was owner
of the Bligh Theatre, built in 1911, and a promoter of vaudeville
and motion pictures.
Boise, Reuben P. : (1819-1907) Boise arrived in Oregon
in 1850. A member of the Salem Clique, he was appointed to
the Territorial Supreme Court in 1857. He served on the State
Supreme Court intermittently until 1880.
Boone, John D. : (1817-1864) Boone came to Oregon
in 1845 and was the first State Printer. He was a Methodist
minister, a Salem businessman, and active in early state government.
Boothby, Wilbur F. : Boothby came to Oregon in 1864.
His first business was a sash and door factory. As contractor,
he built the Marion County Courthouse in 1872 and other public
buildings. He is credited with designing and building the
Burggraff, Charles H. : A Salem architect from 1891
to1899, Burggraff designed his own house, the Yew Park School,
the Hughes, D'Arcy, and Adolph Blocks, the Webster and Ashby-Durbin
houses, and buildings at the State Hospital and Fairview.
Bush, Asahel : (1824-1913) Bush came to Oregon in
1850 and established the Oregon Statesmannewspaper. He was
a member of the Democratic leadership group, the Salem Clique,
and was influential in Oregon politics. He later entered the
banking business. [ Learn More
Campbell, Hamilton "Cow" : (1812-1863) Campbell
came to Oregon on the Lausanne and was in charge of the Mission
school. He supervised the stock belonging to the Mission and
also engraved the dies used in coining the so-called "Beaver
Chamberlin, Ellen : (1849-1943) Chamberlin came to
Oregon in 1857, one of eight children of Joseph and Olive
Chamberlin. She graduated from Willamette University in 1868
and was a pioneer in early Oregon education.
Chamberlin, Martin : (1846-1903) The son of Joseph
and Olive Chamberlin, Chamberlin served in public office in
Salem and was State Senator representing Marion County in
1886. In 1900 he was appointed Clerk of the State Land Board
under Governor T. T. Geer.
Cherrington, W. M. : Cherrington came to Oregon in
1890 and with his brother opened Cherrington Brothers Photography.
Their studio was reportedly one of the best-equipped on the
West Coast. Their large collection of negatives was later
sold to the Cronise Studio.
Cooke, Belle (Susan Isabella) Walker : (1835-1919)
Teacher of art and music at Willamette University, Cooke published
a book of poetry and was also the first woman to serve as
clerk of the Oregon Legislature.
Craig, Marie : (1860-1944) Craig was the sole instructor
in the Willamette University College of Art for twenty-two
years beginning in 1886. She had studied at Pennsylvania art
schools. After leaving Willamette University, she taught art
lessons in Salem.
Cross, Curtis : (1900-1951) A third-generation Salem
resident, Cross was in the meat-packing business, once a thriving
Willamette Valley industry. He owned the Valley Packing Company,
later Cascade Meat Company. He also owned Meadowland Dairy.
Curry, George Law : (1820-1878) Curry was Territorial
Governor of Oregon from 1854 to 1859, appointed by President
Pierce. He was a member of the Salem Clique and a journalist.
Curry County, on the Oregon coast, is named for him.
Duane, Rev. Nehemiah : (1820-1905) Methodist minister
and principal of the Oregon Institute, Duane also organized
the Portland Academy and Female Seminary. He served the Methodist
Church in Salem from 1868 to 1872 and was also a writer of
Gary, Rev. George : (1793-1855) Gary was the Methodist
minister sent to Oregon in 1844 to replace Jason Lee as head
of the Methodist Mission. By 1847 Gary had liquidated the
property and returned East, his work in Oregon completed.
Gaston, Joseph : (1833-1913) A railroad builder, journalist,
and historian, Gaston was the publisher of Salem's first farm
journal, The Agriculturist. He wrote the four-volume Centennial
History of Oregon and Portland, Its History and Builders.
Gatch, Claud : Son of T. M. Gatch, Claud Gatch was
mayor of Salem in the 1890s and worked for Ladd and Bush Bank;
he was later a national bank examiner in San Francisco.
Gatch, Helen Plummer : (1861-1942) Wife of Claud Gatch,
Helen Gatch was a nationally recognized pictorial photographer,
from 1890 to 1910. A member of the Salon Club of America,
her prize-winning photographs were widely published and exhibited.
Gatch, Thomas Milton : (1833-1913) Gatch was a miner
and teacher and served as president of Willamette University
twice, from 1860 to 1865 and 1870 to 1879. He later served
as president of Oregon State University.
Geer, Ralph Carey : (1816-1895) Geer was a pioneer
nurseryman bringing apple and pear seedlings across the plains.
He later served in the Legislature and was a pioneer in Oregon's
flax growing industry.
Geer, Gov. Theodore Thurston : (1851-1924) Geer was
Oregon's first native-born governor serving from 1899 to 1903.
He was also a journalist and editor of the Oregon Statesman
from 1903 to 1905, later moving to Pendleton. He wrote Fifty
Years in Oregon.
Gerth, Walter : He operated a grocery store in West
Salem beginning in 1911. He built the first two story building
there and had the first electric lights in West Salem. He
was active in the Methodist Church.
Green, Edith Sterrett : (1910-1987) Green was a Willamette
University student and teacher in Salem schools for eleven
years. In 1954 she was elected to the United States House
of Representatives from the 3rd District.
Grover, Lafayette : (1823-1911) Grover came to Oregon
in 1851 and settled in Salem. He was a member of the Salem
Clique and served as Governor of Oregon from 1870 to 1877
and United States Senator from 1877 to 1883.
Guthrie, George : (1992-1955) A graduate of Harvard
Law School and practicing attorney, Guthrie traveled in England
to study Shakespearean architecture. He returned in 1926 to
finance the Elsinore Theater which housed his art collection.
Hauxhurst, Webley, Jr. : (1809-1874) Hauxhurst, a pioneer
settler, built one of Oregon's first grist mills in 1834.
He married "Miss Mary" of the Yamhill Indian tribe.
Hauxhurst served as a trustee of Willamette University and
later moved to Tillamook County.
Hines, Rev. Gustavus : (1809-1873) G. Hines came to
Oregon with the Great Reinforcement in 1840. He was a missionary,
educator, and author and was involved in early Oregon government.
He was a brother of H. K. Hines.
Hines, Rev. Harvey K. : (1828-1902) H. K. Hines was
also a Methodist minister and author. Coming to Oregon in
1853, he organized the First Methodist Church at The Dalles
and later was presiding elder at the Salem church. He authored
several books about Methodism.
Holman, Joseph : (1815-1880) Holman came to the Northwest
in 1840, settling near Salem. He taught at the Oregon Institute
and built several business buildings in early Salem. He was
one of the first growers of flax seed and also raised pure
Hoyt, Rev. Francis S. : (1822-1912) Hoyt was the first
president of Willamette University, serving in that position
for four years, from 1856 to 1860. He returned to Ohio Wesleyan
College in 1860.
Hanzen, Hannah Martin : Hanzen was the first woman
elected to the State Legislature from Marion County. She was
admitted to the Oregon Bar in 1924. She was on the faculty
of the College of Law at Willamette University and active
in women's causes. [ Learn More
Judson, Lewis Hubbell : (1809-1880) Judson came
to Oregon with the Great Reinforcement in 1840; he was trained
as a wheelwright and helped organize the Oregon Institute.
He participated in the organization of the state's provisional
government. [ Learn More ]
Kay, Thomas : (1837-1900) Textile mill engineer and civic
leader, Kay was born and received his training in England.
He came to Oregon in 1863 and worked in woolen mills around
the state. He founded the very successful Kay Woolen Mill
in Salem in 1889. [ Learn More
Kay, Thomas B. : (1864-1931). Son of Thomas
and Ann Slingsby Kay, T. B. Kay was president of the Kay Woolen
Mill, from 1900 to 1931. He served in the state legislature
and as State Treasurer.
Lamport, Fred : (1891-1981) Lamport was a Salem lawyer
and banker; he practiced law with Charles McNary and served
in the Legislature in 1951 and 1953. He left a million dollar
trust for the Acute Care Center at Salem Memorial Hospital.
Lee, Anna Maria Pittman : (1803-1838) The first wife
of Jason Lee, Anna Maria Pittman came to do Christian work
in the Methodist Mission in 1837 and married Lee shortly thereafter.
She died after giving birth to the first European-American
child born in Oregon.
Lee, Jason : (1803-1845) Lee headed the Methodist
Mission to Oregon in 1834 and chose the Mission's first site
at Wheatland. He played an important role in the development
of Methodism in Oregon and in Oregon's early quest for statehood.
[ Learn More ]
Lee, Lucy Thompson : (1809-1842) Second wife of Jason
Lee, Lucy Thompson came to Oregon on the Lausanne in 1840.
She was a graduate of the Newbury Seminary. She died shortly
after giving birth to a daughter, Lucyanna,
Jason Lee's only descendent.
Legg, Fred : (1869-1941) An architect, Legg came to
Salem in 1902 and opened an off ice in 1906. He designed the
Garfield School in 1909 and the Douglas Minto bungalow in
1922. His work also included the commercial Boise, Willis,
Roth, and Buren buildings.
Leslie, David : (1787-1869) Leslie was a Methodist
missionary who came to Oregon in 1837; he served as chairman
of a committee to draft a code of laws for the Oregon country.
He returned from the Sandwich Islands in 1843 to start a church
in Oregon City. [ Learn More
Livesley, Thomas A. : (1863-1947) Livesley came to
Salem in 1894 and became Oregon's leading hop grower at Brook
Farm. He was mayor of Salem in 1927 and president of T. A.
Livesley Co, hop brokers. The Livesley Building is Salem's
first and only skyscraper. [ Learn
Long, Harriet Catherine : (1887-1941) Long came to
Oregon in 1930 as State Librarian and was instrumental in
the construction of the present state library. She contributed
greatly to the policies guiding good library practice.
Lord, Elizabeth : (1887-1976) A Salem native, Lord
studied landscape architecture at Lawthrope in Massachusetts
and returned to Salem to establish a landscape business with
Edith Schryver. Projects included the Courthouse grounds,
Salem parks, and private gardens. [ Learn
Lord, William Paine : (1839-1911) Lord began his law
practice in Salem in 1868. He served as Chief Justice of the
Oregon Supreme Court from 1880 to 1886, as Governor from 1895
to 1899, and United States Minister to Argentina from 1898
to 1902. He was highly respected as a jurist.
McKay, James Douglas : (1893-1959) A Salem car agency
owner, McKay began his political career as Mayor of Salem
in 1933. He served as governor from 1948 to 1952 when he joined
President Eisenhower's Cabinet as Secretary of the Interior.
[ Learn More ]
McNary, Charles Linza : (1874-1944) McNary, a Salem
attorney active in politics and education, served as associate
Supreme Court Justice 1913-1915. He served in the U. S. Senate
from 1918 until his death. He was principal sponsor of the
Bonneville Dam. [ Learn More
Minthorn, Dr. Henry J. : (1846-1922) Minthorn came
to Oregon in 1882 to direct the Indian School at Forest Grove.
Besides practicing medicine, he was president of the Oregon
Land Company and the Salem Street Railway Company. He had
numerous real estate investments.
Minto, John : (1822-1915) Minto arrived in Oregon
in 1844, settling south of Salem where he was a pioneer in
the sheep industry. He served four terms in the State Legislature,
organized the first Oregon State Fair, and helped survey the
Minto and Santiam mountain passes.
Olcott, Benjamin Wilson : (1872-1952) A banker by trade,
Olcott worked around the Northwest, returning to Salem in
1907. He served as Secretary of State for three terms and
in 1919 succeeded to the governorship at Governor Withycombe's
death. He served one term.
Parrish, Rev. Josiah L. : (1806-1895) A Methodist missionary
and by trade a blacksmith, Parrish was active in territorial
politics, the Oregon Institute, and early agriculture. He
was highly respected for his service as Indian Agent from
1849 to 1854.
Patterson, Isaac Lee : (1859-1929) Patterson was a
farmer, residing at his large diversified farm at Eola after
serving as Collector of Customs, from 1898 to 1907; State
Senator, from 1918 to1922; and Governor, from 1927 to 1929.
He died in office.
Paulus, Robert C. : Paulus was a national leader in
the food processing industry, organizing Paulus Brothers Packing
Company, with his brother George in 1927, utilizing the old
Salem Fruit Plant. Paulus was national president of the National
Pearne, Rev. Thomas Hall : (1820-1910) A Methodist
minister, Pearne arrived in Oregon in 1851, serving as presiding
elder from 1851 to 1855. While in Oregon he was editor of
the Pacific Christian Advocate and lobbied for the abolition
Peck, Morton : (1870-1959) Peck was a botanist on
the Willamette University faculty for thirty-three years.
He wrote A Manual of the Higher Plants in Oregon and established
the Peck Herbarium, a collection of 40,000 specimens of Oregon
Pierce, Cornelia Marvin : (1873-1957) first librarian
of the Oregon State Library. She pioneered tax-supported free
local libraries, library books by mail loans, and other innovations.[
Learn More ]
Purvine, Dr. Ralph : (1910-1974) Son of Dr.
Mary Purvine, Willamette University graduate, and a pioneer
physician in rural Condon, Purvine established the Salem Clinic
in 1938 and the Willamette University Health Service in 1948.
Putnam, George : (1882-1961) Putnam was editor and
publisher of the Capital Journal from 1919 through 1952. He
was a strong advocate of the public interest and freedom of
the press. His coverage of the Ku Klux Klan in Oregon was
only one of his many journalistic exposes.
Quinaby, Chief : (c.1880-1883) Often spoken of as "the
last of the Calapooyahs," Quinaby lived near his ancestral
camp on the banks of South Mill Creek at Yew Park. This area
was a summer encampment for lively Native American gatherings.
Reed, Cyrus : Reed came to Salem in 1852; his business
interests included a sash and door company and the city's
first telegraph office. A Republican, he served three terms
in the Oregon Legislature. Reed's Opera House and Hotel opened
in 1869 serving as a cultural center.
Schryver, Edith : (1901-1984) Schryver was a landscape
architect who came to Oregon in 1928 to establish a business
with Elizabeth Lord. They designed the gardens at the Deepwood
estate, the Robertson and Jarman houses, and other Salem residences.
She also taught landscape architecture at Oregon State University.
Simpson, Samuel Leonidas : (1846-1899) Simpson came
to Oregon as an infant. A graduate of Willamette University,
he practiced as an attorney and edited the Oregon Statesman
newspaper. His well-known poetry and other writings featured
Smith, Clarence L. : (1894-1951) A Salem architect
practicing between the two World Wars, Smith specialized in
period style houses designing at least twenty-five houses
in Salem. His houses figure prominently in the Gaiety-Hill/Bush's
Pasture Historic District.
Smith, Fabritus : Smith, an early Salem resident was
a farmer and was vice-president of the Board of Trustees of
Willamette University. He served in the Oregon Legislator
in 1876 and 1878.
Sprague, Charles Arthur : (1887-1969) Sprague was
an educator and journalist who moved to Oregon in 1925 for
a job with the newspaper in Corvallis. He became editor of
Salem's Oregon Statesman in 1929 and served as the Governor
of Oregon from 1939 to 1943, later resuming his position at
the Oregon Statesman.
Spaulding, Charles K. : An Oregon lumberman, Spaulding's
first mill was established in Newberg in 1905. By 1927, his
lumber mill in Salem, including a sash and door factory, employed
700 people and occupied two blocks along the Willamette River.
Steeves, B. L. : (1868-1933) Steeves graduated from
Willamette University's School of Medicine. He practiced medicine
in Idaho and was Governor of Idaho in 1905. He returned to
Salem in 1909 and was elected mayor of Salem in 1915.
Steeves, Sarah Hunt : (1871-1939) Sarah Hunt, the
daughter of Oregon pioneers, married Dr. B. L. Steeves in
1893. She was the author of Book of Remembrance, Marion County
Pioneers, 1840-1860 (1927) and also wrote children's stories.
Thornton, Jesse Quinn : (1819-1888) Thornton came to Oregon
in 1846 and was a Judge of the Supreme Court of the Provisional
Government in 1847. He acted as Oregon's spokesman in Washington
D.C. on behalf of Territorial Government and was active in
Waldo, Daniel : (1800-1880) Waldo came to Oregon in 1843
with his Missouri neighbor Jesse Applegate. Settling in the
hills east of Salem where he raised cattle, he was active
in provisional government politics, early agriculture, and
Waldo, John Breckenridge : (1844-1907) The son of
Daniel Waldo, John was a lawyer and state legislator. He was
an ardent conservationist associated with the National Parks
movement. He and his brother explored and named many Cascade
Waldo, William : (1832-1911) The son of Daniel Waldo,
William drove 300 head of cattle overland in 1853, making
several more trips later. He was a lawyer and served in the
Oregon Legislature. With his brother he spent much time exploring
the Cascade Mountains.
Wallace, William : An early fur trader, Wallace and
J. C. Halsey explored the Willamette Valley in 1812. They
constructed a shelter and trading house "on a great prairie,"
probably near the site of Salem. Wallace Prairie is named
Waller, Rev. Alvin F. : (1808-1872) Waller came to
Oregon aboard the Lausanne in 1840. After serving at Oregon
City, he helped form Willamette University where Waller Hall
is named for him. He was active in educational and religious
work until his death.
Watt, Joseph : (1817-1890) Watt pioneered Oregon's
woolen industry, bringing 330 sheep overland from Missouri
in 1849. His Willamette Woolen Company, formed in 1857, was
the first on the West Coast and operated until destroyed by
fire in 1875.
West, Oswald : West came to the Salem area as a young
boy. He worked as a teller in the Ladd and Bush bank and served
on several state commissions before becoming Governor in 1911.
He was noted for his conservation legislation.
Wiggins, Myra Albert : (1869-1956) Salem native, she
was a pictorial photographer from 1894 to 1910. Her prize-winning
photographs appeared in many publications and exhibitions.
[ Learn More ]
Willson, William H. : (1805-1856) Willson came to
the Willamette Mission in 1837 as a carpenter and whaler;
he later studied medicine. In 1846 he platted the city of
Salem and later served as treasurer of the Provisional Government
in Oregon. [ Learn More
Excerpted from "Historical Context Statement for
Salem," August 1992. Pages 59 to 66. The "Historical
Context Statement" was prepared for Salem, Oregon by
Marianne Kadas of Marianne Kadas Consulting.