|Lewis H. Judson was born in 1809. Although trained
as a wheelwright, Judson educated himself to become a school
master and Methodist missionary. He was a member of the so-called
"Great Reinforcement" which traveled from Connecticut
in 1840 to assist Jason Lee at his Salem Methodist Mission.
Besides his work at the mission, Judson assisted in the creation
of the Oregon Institute, served as a magistrate, and was appointed
Marion County surveyor. He used his self-taught medical skills
to assist Salem's early residents. He later moved to Clatsop
County where he spent the last twenty years of his life.
Judson was known as a versatile, if blunt and stubborn man.
Judson and his first wife, Almira Roberts, had four children.
Two years after Almira's death, in 1846, he married Nancy
Hawkins. Judson died in 1880.
Bellinghausen, Frank. "Pioneer Cemetery, Nomination
for Historic Registry." Salem Parks and Recreation Department,
December 5, 1984.