|215 Winter Street
Ernestine Ostrin, the youngest daughter of Ernest and Josephine
Frederickson, recalls spending her teen years living with
a variety of men. Her parents purchased the Willamette Sanitarium
located on Winter Street in 1933 to convert into a large boarding
house. The sanitarium was vacated but not emptied of all equipment.
Ernestine remembers it still had medical instruments in cabinets
and uniforms behind the doors with an aroma of disinfectant.
The renovated building was renamed Frederickson Hall and had
twenty-seven rooms to let. There were four floors, three used
for lodging and the lower floor was the kitchen and dining
room. Not all rooms had wash basins but each floor had one
bathroom. The best room in the house was $35.00 per month
including three meals. Others rented between twenty-six and
twenty-eight per month. The location was ideal for students
attending Willamette University. The legislators at the Capitol
took advantage of the reasonable rent plus the hall was within
walking distance. The Capitol building was known as the State
House in those days. Often state workers would take their
lunch at Frederickson Hall.
Ernest Frederickson maintained all repairs on the building
plus prepared breakfast each morning for the roomers. Word
spread of the wonderful meals prepared by Josie and each day
she would feed between 40 and 60 people. She was known for
her homemade breads and delicious pies. They hired a cleaning
lady for a dollar a day plus meals. The Fredericksons operated
the boarding house for twenty years.
In 1953 the hall was razed and today the Willamette University
Law Library now occupies the site on Winter and Ferry Streets.
Compiled and written by Shirley Herrmann
Interview with Ernestine Ostrin, September 2000.
Photo supplied by Ernestine Ostrin