There is more than one story about how Salem's downtown streets
go as wide as the are - - 99 feet.
One reason given is that the original survey was done with
a chain 66 feet long, with links 7.92 inches long. It was
considered too narrow to have streets only one chain wide,
so they used a chain and one half, or 99 feet, according to
the late Salem City Engineer, Harold Davis.
Another tradition says that 66 feet would have been inadequate
for oxen teams and two chains wide would have been too much.
Still another theory was that the wider streets would discourage
the spread of fire from one side to the other.
Salem was surveyed again in June of 1861 by Jerome B. Greer
and Walter Forward. It set 19 survey control points (monuments)
from which exact locations could be measured legally. Most
of the monuments are still used.
The point from which all elevations were measured was a brick
projecting from the Marion Hotel's northwest corner, 2.78
feet above the sidewalk and 48 feet from mean-low water level
of the Willamette River, Davis explained.
And why do Salem streets turn at an angle as they leave the
downtown, going north, east, or south? It is because the original
plats were laid out with magnetic north as the needle pointed
150 years ago. Later additions were measured by true north
- - which is about 19 degrees different.
Written by Al Jones, compiled by Cynthia Harvey and Monica
Marion County HISTORY, Volume XV, Page 124 (Previously
published Winter 1996, Vol. 34, No. 4)